一、 Direct and Indirect Communication
- Do you feel that you are a direct communicator or an indirect communicator? Give an example.
- Who do you feel you can communicate directly with and who do you feel you should communicate indirectly with?
- In the following situations, is direct communication or indirect communication more effective? Why?
- Come up with a definition for what friendship means in China.
2.What are 3 qualities you want in a good friend? What are 3 qualities you don‟t want in a friend? Why?
- How and where do people in China make their closest friendships? 4) If you move to a new place, what is a good way to make new friends?
- Tell your group about your most enjoyable learning experience of the past. What made it good? 2. Describe what qualities you think the ideal teacher must have. What are some qualities you don‟t want in a teacher?
- In Chinese society, do teachers have a high status or a low status? Do you think being a teacher is a good job? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite Chinese holiday? Which Western holiday most interests you?
- Do you think holidays are very significant? What meanings are expressed by such holidays as National Day, Mid-Autumn Festival, Christmas, Spring Festival and Thanksgiving?
- What is the history of your favorite Chinese holiday? (For example, what‟s the history of Dragon Boat Festival?)
- Describe your family, and tell your group a story about your family from your childhood.
- Who do you think should have the highest authority in the home- the husband, the wife, or both equally share authority? If you think both should have equal authority, how should they make decisions on where to work or live if they don‟t agree with each other?
- What do you expect to do to take care of your parents when they grow old? What do you expect your child to do for you when you get old?
- Describe your hometown, and tell your group 3 things you like about your hometown and three things you don‟t like about it.
- If you were the mayor of your hometown, what problems would you try to fix? How would you go about fixing those problems? What things would you not want to change?
- How do you feel about Changsha? What challenges do you think Changsha will face in the next 2 years? 10 years?
英语角的英语称谓是English corner，是指为提高英语口语，而进行的一种英语口语练习活动。举办时间多在周末，也有在晚上举行的。场所基本在室外（如公园，广场，校园等）。 英语角的参加者以学生居多，也有社会人士参加。这两年由奥运会、世博会掀起的英语热，带动了全民学英语、说英语的高潮。但由于传统英语角在时间、地点、形式上的局限，限制了一部分人学习英语的热情。随着社会需求的不断增加，各地纷纷推出了电话英语角这种服务模式，通过电话聊天室或电话一对一英语对话等形式，将全国或者省内的英语爱好者聚集在一起练习口语。